Thursday, December 11, 2014

Never Obsolete

"640K of memory should be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates

Okay, Bill Gates never actually said this, but eMachines did. eMachines was a US company founded in 1998 and offered PCs for the home consumer between the $400 and $600 price point, far less than those manufactured by Compaq, HP and IBM at the time. Because of this, they became very common in retail stores.

I remember when my sister bought one. I remember because it made the claim of "never obsolete" and came with ~500MHz processor, CD-Rom, between 10 - 50GB hard drives and between 32 - 128 MBs of ram. To put that into perspective, PCs today often come with 3.6GHz quad core processors, DVD or BluRay recorders, 2TB hard drives and 8GBs of ram.

I would love to find one of these old machines, try to get a newer version of Windows on it, either 7 or 8 and see how well it performs.


The eMachine, Never Obsolete.
 
Remember that? I sure do. The PC actually performed very well at the time under Windows 98 SE and I remember spending many hours gaming and browsing the web on one.

No comments: